Friday, April 5, 2013

I Hate The Word Control


I cringe when I see the Animal Control van. I shudder when I hear the term birth control...quality control...gun control...pest control...population control. I don't even like the thought of control-top pantyhose. I flinch when I hear someone say, "God is in control." Aaaaaaargh! Why does that word pack such a punch? I looked it up in the dictionary, and it literally means:
TO EXERCISE AUTHORITATIVE OR DOMINATING INFLUENCE OVER...
TO HOLD IN RESTRAINT 

No wonder I hate that word. To a kid who grew up with a controlling parent, that word summons up fear, frustration, rebellion and rage. That's why I never wanted religion. It seemed like just another word for control. And I'd certainly had enough of that. I've been running all my life from anything that might try to conform, de-form or reform me into something I am not.

Remember Ralphie in A Christmas Story? His mother made him wear the bunny suit his aunt made for him. I so related to that little kid who felt angry and helpless because he was forced to do something to please someone else. Isn't that the common denominator of all religions?
We gotta amend, attend, blend and pretend?
May it never be.

That's why I love Jesus. 
He is the Anti-Controller. 
The One who opens His Hand and says, "Your move." 
The One who gently closes my self-help book and says, 
"Come to me, little self, and I will give you rest."

He doesn't wield authoritative influence over me. He sings over me.
He doesn't dominate me. He delights in me.
He doesn't restrain me. He resurrects me. 

Jesus says, "This world will try to control you. Friends will try to control you. Media will try to control you. Religion will try to control you. Family will try to control you...and you will try to control yourself. But be of good courage, for I have overcome control. My Spirit will give you self-control, because My Banner over you is Love."

And that is the good news, my friends.

6 comments:

  1. Claudia, my friend, you nailed it! Thank you for your unique and spirited insight.

    ~Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I love this. Every word. Thank You, Jesus! For You and for fellow Limper's to Jerusalum! Big love, Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful words, Claudia. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, my friends. I love connecting with you all over the many miles. Here's to many more games of verbal volleyball!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia, I couldn't agree more. I'd love to read more from you. I hope you get back to writing this blog!

    ReplyDelete