Monday, April 8, 2013

Womb-Leaping Friends


That's what I call those whose deep calls to my deep...and whose heart kindles my heart. Remember when John the Baptist leapt for joy in his mother's womb as she neared her pregnant cousin Mary? Her baby's molecules sparked and his tiny soul spontaneously combusted in the presence of the embryonic Christ.

I wait for those moments in life. Moments when I can sense the sacred in another soul, or when I intuitively know their spirit has felt what mine has felt in the presence of the Lord.

This flesh-weary world insists intimacy is born skin-to-skin, but that's not what I believe. True intimacy is not born of blood, flesh or bone; true intimacy is born of the spirit. Just like the friendship between David and Jonathan, of whom the Bible says:
"the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him
as his own soul... " (I Samuel 18)
 I think that is what human beings are craving in 2013. To know and be known. To love and be loved. This generation swoons to the nagging drumbeat of sexuality, but I don't think that's what people are really craving. I think people are crazily searching for intimacy...union and communion first with God,
and then with each other.

Fifty Shades of Grey can never satisfy a human being as much as one ray of light.

There is a beautiful line in Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, when Jane says to Mr. Rochester:

"It is my spirit that addresses your spirit, just as if we had passed through the grave and now stood at God's Feet...as we are."

This is the kind of romance we have desired. This is the kind of friendship we have craved. But the flesh can't buy it. The will can't force it. The mind can't think it into reality. The emotions can't feel it into being. This is the love of the spirit, and it is given by God to those who love Him.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Claudia,
    This is simply wonderful. This very thing has been on my heart and in the hearts of my daughters for a long time now. And it comes up in conversation with others, but then they do not know how to continue with it, becoming fearful of the depth. But, Oh! To drown in such a deep pool. I know our souls were made for these deep connections and long to make them.
    Lovely, beautiful, intertwined on the molecular level.
    More please

    ReplyDelete